FSD Africa is a financial sector development programme based in Nairobi. It is funded by the UK Government’s Department for International Development (DFID) and aims to reduce poverty across sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) by building financial markets that are efficient, robust and inclusive.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Systems, the Gender Specialist will assume responsibility for building and managing a wide-ranging programme of grant-based and technical support to drive FSD Africa’s vision for inclusive finance for women. This will involve developing, implementing and disseminating various content, tools and approaches to enable FSD Africa’s stakeholders, including the FSD Network, to achieve that vision.
Key role requirements and performance objectives for the role include the following:
- Thought Leadership: Act as a thought leader on inclusive finance for women, both internally within FSD Africa and externally, including with the FSD Network.
- Strategy: Lead the development of FSD Africa’s strategy on inclusive finance for women, aiming to maximise the extent to which women are able to benefit from, and contribute to, SSA’s financial systems and broader economic development.
- Programme Design and Implementation: Lead the design and implementation of a portfolio of impactful interventions that enhance inclusive finance for women and are aligned to FSD Africa’s gender strategy.
- Influencing and Communicating for Impact: Develop and oversee the implementation of effective influencing, advocacy and communication strategies that will support the achievement of gender-related goals and position FSD Africa as a leading voice on inclusive finance for women.
- Team Coordination and Capacity Building: Lead and coordinate consultants, colleagues and other stakeholders to implement FSD Africa’s gender strategy and related work plans effectively.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- A good quality relevant bachelor’s degree; a relevant post-graduate degree would be an advantage
- Deep knowledge and understanding of inclusive finance and financial sector development, and of the market systems approach
- Significant knowledge and experience in inclusive finance and economic empowerment for women, and a willingness to play a leading role in realising these objectives for FSD Africa
- More than 8 years of working experience in a relevant environment across multiple countries and institutions, including in Africa
- Familiarity with major African stakeholders in the field
- Evidence of acting as a leading voice in the field (e.g. papers published, conference engagements)
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative and trusted relationships with implementing partners, donors, private sector players and government counterparts
- Demonstrated track record of rigorous project management skills and achievement of results
- Experience with managing and reporting on complex donor-funded projects (ideally including DFID)
- Ability to apply research techniques, interpret and evaluate results and present them succinctly and clearly, including experience in designing/conducting/managing research on gender-related issues
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment would be an advantage
- Proficiency in French and/or local African languages would be an advantage
For the detailed job description, click here. Submit your application online at www.adeptsystems.co.ke. This will require you to create a profile and in addition attach your detailed CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet our requirements, indicating your current and expected remuneration. Applications must be received by close of business Friday 23 November 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FSD Africa is an equal opportunity employer.