Call for Expression of Interest – Technical Support: Regulating Innovation Specialist
FSD Africa is inviting Expressions of Interest (EOI) from individuals to provide support for its financial sector development work in the field of regulating innovation.
FSD Africa is looking for a mix of: technical expertise, knowledge and networks, motivation and the ability to work independently, strong project management and delivery skills, as well as business development experience.
FSDA’s requirements for technical support are varied and will necessitate working with a wide range of stakeholders. This call for EOIss aimed at identifying individual consultants with whom FSD Africa can call on to work on specific projects and assignments. FSD Africa is looking to build a pool of consultants/specialist who will provide technical support for its programmes and projects in this thematic area.
Synopses of the relevant initiatives, outlines of the scopes of work and required skills are provided below. More granular, useful FSD Africa and thematic detail will be provided to the Consultants at a later stage.
FSD Africa is looking to support the emergence of financial technologies businesses (FinTech’s) that advance financial inclusion and build financial markets. Without an enabling regulatory environment to foster useful innovation, promising business models may not flourish, and development outcomes may not be realised.
FSD Africa is looking to engage a part-time Consultant to provide additional support to its existing work across Africa on the theme of regulating financial innovation.
Scope of Work
The specialist will be required to provide:
- Provide relationship and project management to support the implementation of FSD Africa’s existing regulatory innovation projects.
- Work directly with senior financial regulators to determine and recommend regulatory frameworks and programs to facilitate financial innovation and deepen financial markets in select jurisdictions.
- Provide technical assistance to regulators on the design, drafting, and implementation of policy and legal frameworks to facilitate the regulation of innovation
- Develop and recommend strategies for advancing FSD Africa’s regulatory innovation portfolio across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Engage with regulatory agencies and key in-country FSD Network teams to identify, design, and deliver capacity building programs to support regulatory innovation.
- Identify and leverage anticipated synergies between countries in close coordination with FSD Africa’s Nairobi office (e.g. knowledge sharing and peer exchange between countries).
- Coordinate with FSD Africa to develop knowledge products to build credibility, share lessons learned from in-country engagements, and influence key stakeholders.
Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree and/or relevant professional qualifications.
- Prior experience working with/in a market building programme.
- Prior experience providing technical assistance in connection with legal and/or regulatory frameworks related to emerging financial technologies or business models.
- Prior experience designing and delivering capacity building programs on regulatory innovation.
- Relevant experience as lawyer or consultant dealing with financial sector law and policy issues.
- A good understanding of, or experience in operating in an international, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to work responsively and proactively, against tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated domain expertise.
- Ability and willingness to travel across Sub-Saharan Africa.
Expressions of Interest
For this exercise, FSD Africa is inviting EOIs from suitably qualified individual consultants in the area specified above.
Please note – fully costed proposals and/or detailed work plans are not required at this stage. Cost estimates of travel, accommodation etc. are also not required.
Your EOI should contain:
- Your name and a full CV
- Your place of business.
- Your area of expertise.
- A short statement (maximum 1 side of A4) of why you believe you have the right qualifications to help FSD Africa in the stated area
- A statement describing your availability, e.g.:
- Preferred length of assignment
- Willingness to travel
- Your current fee rate inclusive if applicable taxes.
- Any other information that you believe should be considered in the shortlisting process.
Your EOI, which should not exceed 3 sides of A4 (font size 11) in total (excluding CV) should be sent to FSD Africa at firstname.lastname@example.org a subject line reading “EOI: Technical Support -Regulating Innovation” by 1200 (EAT) on Friday 11 January 2019.
Questions or comments in respect of this request for Expressions of Interest should be directed to email@example.com.