FSD Africa is a non-profit company which aims to increase prosperity, create jobs and reduce poverty by bringing about a transformation in financial markets in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) and in the economies they serve. It provides know-how and capital to champions of change whose ideas, influence and actions will make finance more useful to African businesses and households. It applies a combination of resources, expertise and research to address financial market failures and deliver a lasting impact. FSD Africa has a mandate to work across sub-Saharan Africa on issues that relate to both ‘financial inclusion’ and ‘finance for growth.’
FSD Africa is seeking Non-Executive Directors (NEDs) who are passionate about the role the private sector can play in promoting growth and poverty reduction and who are prepared to lend their networks and reputations towards achieving this goal.
Specific objectives and activities of the Board of Directors include:
- Establishing and maintaining FSDA’s vision, mission and values
- Ensuring effective strategic and organisational planning by overseeing planning processes and by shaping the formation of strategy
- Influencing the implementation of strategy e.g. through advice and the investment approval process
- Putting in place effective executive leadership and supporting the leadership team by establishing clear objectives and setting expectations
- Ensuring resources are effectively managed (e.g. by participating in the annual budgeting process)
- Ensuring that programming decisions are consistent with the company’s mission and that programme priorities are given adequate budgetary weight in light of limited resources and the need to achieve multiple outcomes
- Acting as ambassadors for FSDA, enhancing its public profile by supporting FSDA events, contributing to FSDA’s communications activities and being ready to “open doors” to effect introductions that might help FSDA fulfil its mission
- Intervening, if required, in critical management decisions (e.g. to identify new executive management or resolve disputes)
- Critically assessing its own effectiveness by periodically reviewing how it can improve its ability to help FSDA achieve its goals.
For the detailed job description and details around background requirements and experience, click here. Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com and must be received by close of business 28 August 2018. The full terms of reference can be accessed here. A summary of the role can be found here.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. FSD Africa is an equal opportunity employer.