Assistant Director – Insurance Sector
FSD Africa is a non-profit company, funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), which aims to increase prosperity, create jobs and reduce poverty by bringing about a transformation in financial markets in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) and in the economies they serve. It provides technical know-how and capital to champions of change whose ideas, influence and actions will make finance more useful to Africans businesses and households. It acts as a market catalyst, adopting the “making markets work for the poor (M4P)” approach.
The Assistant Director – Insurance Sector will join a FSDA’s dynamic, highly qualified and high performing
management team and will work with them to bring about real change in financial institutions that will lead to increased access to financial services for underserved and unserved people in sub Saharan Africa.
The Assistant Director – Insurance Sector will contribute to the practical implementation of programs within the pillar. Specific deliverables will be:
- Strategy & Program Development; Support the development of the Competitive Strategies Pillar, with a specific focus on the Insurance sector in sub-Saharan Africa aimed at influencing and building the capacity of key institutions to adopt pro-poor strategies.
- Engagement & capacity building of key partner institutions: Identify, engage and empower key Insurance sector
institutions; so that they are equipped to effectively deliver against pillar objectives and catalyse systemic change in
the financial sector;
- Consultant Management: Recruit and deploy consultants to deliver against project requirements, managing their
performance in a way that maintains positive relationships with insurance Institutions and the consultants;
- Oversee project and investment implementation: Implement quality multi -year programmes / projects that drive
transformation in the insurance sector and leverage the potential of the insurance sector to influence the wider
- Donor Relationships and financial accountability: Manage FSDA’s financial resources allocated to managed
programs within the insurance sector; aiming to maximise the impact that is achieved with resources and ensuring
compliance with FSDA and Donor policies;
- Influencing and communicating for impact: Drive the transformation of the SSA insurance sector through effective
influencing, advocacy and communication strategies;
- FSDA Pillars and FSD Network Collaboration: Develop close links with peers in the other FSDA Pillars and the FSD
Network to support the development of strategies for jointly originating and managing investments in the insurance
sector, helping to build on the superior knowledge that FSDs have of their local markets.
Location: The role is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Regional scope: Working throughout sub Saharan Africa.
Background and Qualifications
Top quality academic credentials including a Master’s degree in a relevant topic
- Career in insurance sector in a senior management practitioner or consultancy role with a desire to commit
to supporting the delivery of substantial, multi-year projects across SSA
- 7-12 years’ experience within the insurance sector either in a senior management or consultancy environment
- Strong experience in organisational development and/or the management of change
- Knowledge/experience of working in the insurance sector in sub Saharan Africa
- Ability to manage a portfolio of projects across a wide geography
- Ability to multi-task
- Understanding of and commitment to the delivery of a market building approach
- Demonstrable interest in the role that markets can play in reducing poverty (i.e. socially driven as well as
outstanding professional skills)
- Strong ability to influence and build relationships with key industry stakeholders
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience of working with multi-national teams
- Experience of working with the donor community
- Languages: French; Swahili and/or other African languages an advantage
For full details, click here candidates are invited to submit a one-page cover letter, together with maximum two-page curriculum vitae giving details of your qualifications and experience to email@example.com with “FSD Africa Assistant Director – Insurance Sector” in the subject line. The deadline for receipt of applications is 1200 EAT on 8 October 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.